Monday, December 8, 2008

The Crisis

I am having a mid life crisis.

As I am only 19 years old, this is a sad fact.

Through various standardized tests and high school English papers, I have discerned that I am quite an excellent writer – enter crisis.

I am in college and I have no clue what to do with myself. Should I spend a year or two exploring major options? Should I pick a good sounding one and just stick with it? Is my major really that important?

There are no easy answers to the questions for me. So I thought to myself, “Why don’t I see if I can make it as a writer?” This little epiphany came just a week or two before NaNoWriMo – the perfect opportunity to test my noveling skills!

Alas. . . I wrote but 15,000 words. At first I moped about, depressed that I could not hack out 50,000 words in a month. But after a week or two of consolation, I decided that the battle was not over. Even if it takes two years, I shall complete a novel!

So here I am, with my new dilemma – what is important enough to me that I can write a whole novel about it?

No comments: