Friday, December 26, 2008

Graceling by Kristin Cashore


As this is Cashore's first published novel, I am truly impressed. I bought it on a whim - I wasn't sure about the purchase, but when I read Tamora Pierce's recommendation on the back I was convinced. I guess those jacket-quotes work after all.


I think what I really liked about this novel is that it's got a similar feel to the type of novel I'm wanting to write. And I liked that the main character, Katsa, thought it was of the utmost importance that all women know how to defend themselves rather than rely on the men in their lives. Even though Katsa was independent, Cashore didn't go so far as to have her reject everyone - at one point in the novel Katsa needed to be defended also. I think that went along with some of the theme of the novel - no man (or woman) is an island. Even though Katsa was the perfect killer, she still needed the protection of others from time to time.

No comments: